Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by! Here you will find sneak peeks from my sessions, which are a big part of what my blog is all about. You will also find any new products I have to offer, information, fun facts, clothing ideas and so on. Don't forget to leave comments too! You can also get ideas for your session from here as well.

If you have any questions about anything, please be sure to use the "contact me" button and let me know!


Sunday, July 8, 2007

POTD - Shoes and then some. . .

My friend's daughter got married on Saturday. They asked me to photograph the wedding but I declined. I don't have the necessary equipment nor do I feel ready to shoot a wedding yet with my new camera. I did however bring my camera along to practice. Can someone explain how you shoot a wedding in almost no light without a flash? No flash was allowed in the church during the ceremony. I never use a flash but don't have a clue how to shoot with such bad lighting without one. I shot more of the details & tried some artsy stuff more than anything.

So here's my theme POTD.I was behind the recession line shooting the back of her dress. I need to figure out how not to blow out white!

The reception area was very low light and I had to use my flash and still did not like the results. I definitely need to shoot RAW but I don't have any program that opens up RAW yet.
This is my friend's granddaughter. She was really enjoying blowing the bubbles and it was keeping her quiet :)

When she saw mom's dress dragging across the floor during the father/daugther dance she decided to jump on for the ride. It was pretty funny.


Would love any cc you want to give me, I'm putting my hard hat on now.

12 comments:

~~Debb~~ said...

LOVE the comp on #1. It might be a bit heavy on the right side, but the concept is very cool! The blowouts don't bother me, but they rarely ever do. I don't have a RAW converter yet either -- hard to find for PS7.
I also like the Top Hat pic.
You did great. Bet you like these pics so much more than if you HAD to shoot them!!!

Michelle said...

i think you did good...but i am coming off my first wedding also so i really can't cc. love the one of the little girl on the train! lol!

Amy said...

I love the first one ~ awesome! The low light question is tough! Every church is diff. usually when they don't want flash during the ceremony, they'll let you use it during the processional and recessional. Otherwise, HIGH iso, (sometimes unfortunately as high as it goes) and for the non-action ones from the back a tripod. To not blow out the whites is tricky ~ if you have a spot meter, meter the brightest part of the dress. I still think these are great! The only CC I would give is to maybe crop down the two of the back of the dress a bit. The pic of the little girl on the train, LOL!

Kim said...

Great comp,love your ideas, love the hat

Ashley Hiskes said...

I am very new to all of this, but I think you did great! And that little girl is just TOO cute.

Dar Kaso said...

Very nice shots, no help from me, never done a wedding before. Looks like you did very well to me.

Me said...

Proof of why I would never shoot a wedding. Tough stuff. Whites are the worst. I get good results by shooting RAW and metering off the dress. I think you did a very nice job.

Jen said...

I have no CC to give. I know nothing about wedding photog.
OMG the flower girl on the back of the dress is hilarious!

Tera Fraley said...

I love the shoes, great job!! I also really like the cake pic! I think they look great and IM sure they will love them

Cindi Koceich said...

These are very sweet! I love the close up of the little girl!
The only trick I've heard of for not blowing out the whites without underexposing the subject would be to take two pictures and stack them in PS. I forget what the process is called or exactly how it works but you could look into it.

Melissa said...

Thanks everyone for all your tips & comments, I so appreciate it! I've definitely gotta do something about getting some software for RAW. I don't have any intentions of doing weddings but it would be nice to help out a friend once in a while.

Joanne Fowler said...

You did a good job!

I don't know what camera you use but check out the software that came with the camera. My Canon had a CD of software and I can edit in RAW with this - it's so awesome to be able to shoot in RAW!